28 hours per week
Reporting to the Vice-President of Community Building, the Manager of the Archives:
• Manages the Archives database including the selection, arrangement and description of archival records. Manages all aspects of the appraisal and acquisition of private and public records in various media that are of archival significance.
• Arranges and describes records in accordance with the Rules of Archival Description (RAD). Is responsible for the proper conservation, preservation and storage of materials in the Ottawa Jewish Archives.
• Handles all public and research inquiries and prepares materials as requested.
• Sources funding to further the work of the Archives including government and other grants.
• Creates exhibits related to the history of the Jewish community of Ottawa as needed.
• Curates archival material needed for organizational special projects.
• Researches and undertakes oral history documentation to prepare material for publication.
• Manages volunteers, interns and staff, as required.
• Delivers presentations and lectures pertaining to the history of the Jewish Community of Ottawa.
• Promotes the Ottawa Jewish Archives in order to broaden the community’s knowledge and to increase the public profile of the Archives.
• Thorough understanding of archival principles and theory required to carry out the appraisal, acquisition, arrangement and description of archival records according to the recognized standards of the Canadian archival community. Knowledge of conservation and preservation techniques, and the proper methods for handling, processing and storage of archival materials.
• Familiarity with pertinent legislation such as the Privacy Act (PIPEDA), the Copyright Act, as well as taxation laws relating to archives.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to prepare written reports and oral presentations.
• Experience with InMagic software and database management is essential. Experience with Word, Excel, Photoshop or other image editing software is required.
• Experience with social media.
• Ability to lift boxes that may weigh as much at 12 kilos is an asset.
• Familiarity with the history of the Jewish community of Ottawa is an asset.
Educational Requirements: B.A. in Archival Studies or a related field (history, political science, Jewish studies) or equivalent. 2-5 years of experience in Archival or Library sciences
Language Requirements: English imperative. French, Hebrew and Yiddish are assets
To Apply: Please send resume to Sarah Beutel at Sbeutel@jewishottawa.com
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 0-2 years of experience.