The Ottawa Jewish Community School is an innovative and engaging Jewish Day School, Kindergarten through Grade 8, dedicated to developing minds, nurturing hearts, and instilling Jewish values. Located in Ottawa, Ontario, the Ottawa Jewish Community School is known for its rigorous academics, strong social-emotional curriculum, immersive Hebrew and French programs, and warm community.
We are currently seeking a full-time, qualified, Grade 5 & Middle School Judaic Studies teacher who is responsible for teaching the Judaic and Hebrew curricula, which includes Hebrew language instruction, Tanakh, Israel, Chagim and t'fillah. Duties include, but are not limited to religious teaching and facilitation of daily prayer services, teaching Jewish rituals and traditions, providing instruction on and promoting Jewish beliefs, providing instruction on and facilitating religious engagement/ providing instruction on how to read, translate, and make meaning of Bible and Jewish religious texts.
The candidate we hire will:
• Be fluent in Hebrew and well-versed in Judaic Studies;
• Develop, prepare, and implement lesson plans based on the curriculum;
• Collaborate with other faculty members and administrative staff in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods;
• Prepare lessons that reflect differentiation for individual student needs and implement the recommendations from assessments featured in Individual Education Plans;
• Be a positive role model for students reflective of the mission of the school;
• Participate actively and meaningfully in Professional Development opportunities and be committed to professional growth;
• Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students;
• Manage student behavior in the school philosophy.
Application Instructions: Please send a cover letter and resume to the Head of School, Dr. Jon Mitzmacher at: email@example.com. Applicants who are being actively considered will be contacted.
Salary Range: $50-70,000 per year; Commensurate with Education and Experience
Benefits: Paid vacation, sick leave, medical, vision, dental, long-term disability, group life insurance, leave early for Shabbat, kosher food option available
Preferred Experience: 2+ Years’ Experience
Required Degree/Credentials: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Degree/Credentials: Education and/or Master of Education an asset; experience working with Primary and Junior Divisions; Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification an asset.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.