Hillel Ottawa is looking for a creative professional with strong organizational, interpersonal, programming, and communications skills to serve as the Director of Jewish Campus Life. The successful candidate will have a strong Jewish and Israel background, be a self-starter and capable multi-tasker who can engage students and drive Hillel Ottawa’s mission forward.
The Director of Jewish Campus Life reports to the VP of Community Building at the Jewish Federation of Ottawa, and is expected to maintain a strong relationship with the Ottawa Jewish community, the Center for Israel and Jewish Affairs, and other community and university bodies.
What you’ll bring to the job:
• Exceptional organizational, leadership, communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
• A passion for strengthening Jewish identity to encourage and promote a pluralistic approach to religious expression through programs, events, and religious observances on campus.
• A deep commitment to Israel with a nuanced understanding of effective engagement, education, and advocacy strategies.
• You’ll have a Bachelor’s degree, with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
• A cellphone, driver’s license, and reliable vehicle.
• Energy, a sense of humor, flexibility, and maturity.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Strategic Vision and Leadership
• Develop, articulate and promote a vision for Jewish life on campus in partnership with key stakeholders.
• Identify leadership development opportunities for empowering students, and advise and support Hillel Ottawa’s Student Executive Boards and their Committees.
• Recruit, hire, train, any staff or interns.
• Ensure the growth and continued viability of the volunteer Community Advisory Board.
Outreach and Engagement
• Work collaboratively with student leadership to develop opportunities to tap into student interest and build positive and on-going relationships with students.
• Develop and oversee an array of formal and informal opportunities for Jewish learning and promote a pluralistic approach to religious expression on campus.
• Cultivate meaningful relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they live, work or study, utilizing creative methods to reach and interest them.
• Develop creative means of communication with students for the purposes of recruitment, marketing, and new engagement opportunities via social media and other means.
Community Relations and Advocacy
• Develop/maintain strong relationships with local university administrations.
• Serve as the representative of the Jewish community on campus, and promote awareness of campus-based needs and issues in the local Jewish community.
• Advocate on behalf of Jewish students and provide immediate on-site assistance in managing any Israel advocacy crisis or Anti-Semitic incident.
• Develop pro-active Israel Advocacy strategies specific to Hillel Ottawa, maximizing the full array of national and local advocacy services.
Administration and Development
• Develop and implement a strategic approach to fundraising in order to sustain operations, in close coordination with the Community Advisory Board.
• Maintain records of events, attendance and undertake program evaluation.
• Oversee the fiscal operation of Hillel Ottawa through budget planning and management.
• Oversee the management of all Hillel Ottawa physical resources, including equipment and facilities.
What you’ll get out of it:
• Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace with benefits including phone and travel allowance
• Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
• Possible domestic and/or international travel
• Practically unlimited paid coffee dates with students
• Flexible work hours
• Unique opportunities to meet with government officials and foreign dignitaries
How to Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to Sarah Beutel at Sbeutel@jewishottawa.com by November 29, 2019.
As a beneficiary agency of the Jewish Federation of Ottawa, Hillel Ottawa’s mission is to enrich the lives of the 1,500 Jewish students in our nation’s capital so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world. Our student leaders, staff, and lay leaders are dedicated to creating a pluralistic, welcoming, and inclusive environment for Jewish students, where they are encouraged to grow intellectually, spiritually, and socially. Hillel Ottawa helps students find a balance between being distinctively Jewish and universally human by encouraging them to pursue tzedek (social justice), tikkun olam (repairing the world), and Jewish learning, and to support Israel and global Jewish peoplehood. Hillel Ottawa is committed to excellence, innovation, accountability, and results.
Hillel Ottawa is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 0-2 years of experience.