Director, Social Work, Program & Support Services
Hillel Lodge Ottawa Jewish Home for the Aged – Ottawa, ON
ABOUT HILLEL LODGE
Located in the West end of Ottawa, Hillel Lodge has served as a home for individuals in need of long-term personal care since it officially opened its doors in 1965. With a current complement of 121 beds and housed within a thriving 13-acre Jewish Community Campus, we provide a wide range of programming and events to meet the diverse needs of our residents, their families and the larger community which we serve.
Our Mission: Our mission is to provide compassionate long-term care that empowers residents to lead full and engaged lives in a welcoming Jewish environment.
Our Vision: The Lodge will continually strive to be at the forefront of person-centered long-term care.
• Compassion and Caring
• Dignity and Respect
• Collaboration and Teamwork
• Excellence and Innovation
• Integrity and Accountability
After a long and successful career with Hillel Lodge, our Director, Social Work, Program & Support Services will be retiring this Spring, and so we are starting our search for a new team member to take over this exciting portfolio for our Home.
DIRECTOR, SOCIAL WORK, PROGRAM & SUPPORT SERVICES
Reporting to the CEO and serving as part of the senior leadership team, this position is responsible for the leadership and management of Programs and Support Services in accordance with the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Home, Resident Bill of Rights, policies, collective agreements, applicable legislation and professional standards.
1. Life Enrichment Services (Recreation):
• Ensures that Residents’ needs are clearly identified and documented.
• Monitors Resident Services plans and Team plans regularly and works with staff to ensure plans are met.
• Monitors risk management systems regularly.
• Works with staff to help them be fully aware of continued quality improvement, and its use in planning, and monitoring day-to-day activities, and in monitoring their success in meeting residents’ needs.
• Maintains and applies current knowledge of all relevant legislation, Ministry and accreditation requirements.
• Contacts community resources to plan monthly events, coordinates workers and suppliers for resident special events and activities.
• Organize monthly meetings of Resident Council and serve as a liaison on the committee.
• Oversees support contract services programs such as Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Mobility Program
• Supports completion/audit of RAI-MDS care planning assignment.
2. Volunteer Services
• Oversees volunteer program to respond to the resident’s identified strengths, needs and wishes
• Oversees and acts as a support to the recruitment and selection of volunteers.
• Ensures the development and maintenance of organized documentation for all aspects of the volunteer program.
• Liaises with community volunteer organizations regarding volunteerism; engaging in joint planning and educational programming as appropriate to the facility mandate
• Directs organization of publicity and recognition events for the volunteer program.
• Resources for operations of Volunteer run initiatives.
3. Pastoral Care Services
• Oversees Pastoral Care Services
• Build linkages with external relevant community and spiritual contacts.
• Coordinate Spiritual Services for regular religious services and special days of religious significance.
• Ensure all residents have religious needs assessments completed and documented.
• Ensure that all residents have their spiritual needs are met through internal and external resources.
4. Financial Accountability
• Identifies area budget needs and issues and participates in development of annual budget.
• Monitors budget on a monthly basis and explains any significant variances.
• Presents proposals for unit purchases, staffing changes, and other budgetary consideration.
• Develops/manages operating budget.
• Sets and monitors annual goals and objectives.
5. Health and Safety
Ensures that the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act Sections 25, 26, 27 and 28 are met. All management staff will be evaluated annually on these standards.
6. Legislation and Policy Accountability
Ensures compliance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, Regulation 79/10 and all applicable legislation.
7. Other Duties
• As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, participates in long-range planning activities.
• Develops benchmarks for Continuous Quality Improvement within all areas of responsibility.
• Develops team leadership skills among all team members.
• Ensures documentation meets all requirements.
• Ensure staff complies with the approved procedures including infection control and risk management.
• Participates in various Committees as required.
• Ensures department Policy and Procedures are updated and in compliance with all Acts and Regulations.
• Is aware and understands his/her role and responsibilities related to resident safety and workplace safety.
• Collaborates with Human Resources to identify and act on department staffing, training and performance management requirements in accordance with the annual budget and Collective Bargaining Agreements.
• Ensures compliance with relevant governing bodies and legislative acts including MOHLTC Compliance Management Standards and Criteria, the Ontario Fire Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Building Code and city by-laws
• Perform any other duties as required that are necessary for the welfare of the residents and efficient operation of the Home.
Education & Experience
• Master’s degree in social work or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work plus ten years of relevant experience.
• Minimum of three years’ experience in a leadership position
• Experience working in a healthcare organization, preferably LTC
• Sound knowledge of the Long-Term Care Homes Act and supporting Regulations (79/10), Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, and other relevant legislation
• Familiarity with Jewish religion, customs, and culture an asset
Skills and Attributes:
• Excellent judgment and discretion
• Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
• Diplomatic with excellent negotiation and customer service skills
• Highly organized and efficient time management skills
• Able to handle multiple competing priorities in a deadline-driven environment.
• Strong MS Office Suite skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Interested applicants should apply electronically with their current resume along with a cover letter explaining how they meet the requirements of the role. Where notified in advance, Hillel Lodge will accommodate the needs of job applicants throughout its recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. A Vulnerable Sector Police background check will be required prior to hire. Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 10+ years of experience.