Under the direction of the CFO, the Accounts Payable Accountant will perform a broad scope of accounting activities in accordance with both generally accepted accounting principles and practices, and the organization’s policies and practices.
• Process supplier invoices, cheque requisitions and expense reports.
• Ensure proper receipt of goods and match purchase orders with invoices.
• Ensure all purchases have proper authorization within state limits.
• Maintain purchase orders and order requisitions.
• Prepare journal entries, maintain ledgers, prepare detailed cost accounting information and reconcile and analyze reports and ledgers.
• Coordinate orders for office supplies and monitor office expenses.
• Perform bi-weekly cheque runs and coordinate cheque signing in accordance within stated limits.
• Prepare all requests for US cheques and money orders.
• Reconcile bank accounts and credit card statements on a monthly basis and follow up on discrepancies as required.
• Manage the quarter and year-end closing of the company’s books including but not limited to analysis of prepaid expenses and recording of appropriate accruals.
• Prepare and maintain independent contractors listing including fitness instructors and other program instructors and ensuring compliance with terms of independent contract. Provide payroll with completed T4A amounts annually.
• Monitor all fixed lease payments (copiers, fitness equipment, etc)
• Liaise with department managers on any budget variances.
• Liaise with department managers on timing of routine and special payments.
• Assist department managers with special reporting.
• Act as back up to Scheduling Coordinator to fill-in for vacation, sickness, and peak times.
• File and prepare routine correspondence
• Assist CFO with project work as needed
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
• Degree or Diploma in Business Administration & Accounting or in related field.
• 2+ year of AP/AR experience and familiarity of QuickBooks accounting software
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel
• Unison experience is a plus
• Capacity to multi-task and tackle multiple priorities
• Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy are essential
• High level of initiative
• Good English communication skills - spoken and written
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Job Type / Category
Not for profit industry
Permanent, full-time, paid position
35 hours per week
WHY COME WORK WITH US?
• Free Parking
• Employer-paid benefits
• Free access to Community Center including Fitness Facilities
• Collaborative and supportive working environment with friendly staff
Interested applicants should send their current resume along with a cover letter explaining how they meet the requirements of the role. The Jewish Federation of Ottawa is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants may request accommodation if needed at any point in the selection process. A Criminal background check will be required prior to hire. No phone calls please.
POSITION CLOSE DATE: April 10, 2019
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 3-5 years of experience.